You may have noticed that every word in this AtoZ series is a verb because holistic self-care involves taking action. Today is no different. So, when you read the word “ginger,” think “to ginger.”
To ginger can mean, literally, to add ginger (root, spice, powder, juice) to flavor a dish. But beyond the aromatic, wonderful flavor of ginger – which is one of my favorite spices – ginger has many health benefits.
To ginger can also mean to invigorate or liven up – a person or a conversation.
I, personally, love the taste and ginger almost everything. I even add it to my morning smoothie.
My personal favorite remedy when I’m feeling a cold or flu coming on is to boil chopped up ginger root and green onion in Coca-Cola. Simple but effective. As I don’t drink coke or soda, this means a trip to the store, but I’ve also replaced the soda by adding maple syrup or molasses to some water instead. Either way, drinking this concoction under the blankets after a hot shower knocks out all the germs.
A chunk of crystalized ginger settles most upset stomach and heart-burn.
The benefits of ginger-ing your life far exceed temporary relief from annoying symptoms.
When you ginger your food, your body will thank you. Ginger is known to:
- Reduce nausea and gas
- Improve gut health – reducing stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease and treats diarrhea
- Promote sweating, which detoxifies the body – and helps to treat cold and flu
- Fight inflammation – reducing muscle pain and arthritic symptoms
- Prevent menstrual cramps
- Lower LDL cholesterol
- Improve insulin resistance and controls diabetes
- Alleviate inflammatory skin conditions
- Prevent infection
- Boost metabolism
- Reduce risk of breast and colon cancers
- Relieve asthma
And ginger is loaded with vitamins and minerals!
When you ginger your food, you reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s and improve cognition.
Imagine the peace of mind you get when you feel better.
- —and, last but not least, ginger is an aphrodisiac, which can certainly liven things up and boost your spirits a bit!